Friday, January 10, 2014

~toning down our log mantle~

On a whim yesterday I decided to "tone down" the log mantle in our living room.
It was looking a bit orange to me.

Here's the before:



I knew it had to be super subtle because my husband would freak otherwise, so I used this stain:


It's super subtle and I honestly don't think he will even notice.


I think it has the appearance now closer to driftwood.
Here's a side by side for comparison.
Sometimes it's the little things!
{and it took less than 5 minutes!}

Before on the left, after on the right.




xoxo


UPDATE TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS! NO I DID NO PREP! OUR MANTLE HAD A CLEAR COAT PUT ON IT WHEN WE HAD IT BUILT ABOUT 12 YEARS AGO, BUT ALL I DID WAS BRUSH IT ON AND WIPE IT OFF!
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM FOR MORE PHOTOS AND DETAILS! {LINK ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WITH ALL THE OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA ICONS}

14 comments:

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

I love that. It is amazing what you can do now with wood and paint and not be stuck with all the old out dated finishes. I would love for you to share over on the hop today. It covers nine blogs and we would love to have you. Thanks.
Elaine @ http://www.sunnysimplelife.com/

Renee said...

Looks great!! Less "orangey." ;) I have some "orangey" furniture and old Longaberger baskets that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. :)

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

It really looks great! Subtle, but much nicer! You're right sometimes the little things really do make a difference!

Hannah said...

ohhhhhhhhhh! that is awesome! did your wood already have a stain on it? i wonder if that would work on my pecky cypress??? brian would DIE...but i may try in in a spot behind furniture?? ;)

Hannah said...

ohhhhhhhhhh! that is awesome! did your wood already have a stain on it? i wonder if that would work on my pecky cypress??? brian would DIE...but i may try in in a spot behind furniture?? ;)

AntiqueChase said...

Amazing! what kind of prep did you have to do before applying it??

The Schneider Family said...

It looks awesome!! I have a very orangey mantel and trim work that I just am not a big fan of. Have thought about painting it all but the thought of sanding, priming and painting all that would make me just put it off for another day way down the road. So I wonder if that would on my wood, did you have to do any sanding before applying the stain?

{ L } said...

Great choice, and good job. I love it!

anangloinquebec said...

Wow, I love it. Is there any way of seeing the whole mantle. I am thinking of doing something like this to our wood ceilings which have gotten rather orange-y.
:)

Mama Sue said...

Sometimes the little things make a huge difference. I love it!

Liz Thomas said...

Yes, I think you nailed it, it was a bit orangy and now it's picking up more of the gray tones and looks fabulous!!

Lisa said...

I think it turned out great!!! Did he notice?? :)

Patricia Goins said...

I can totally picture you laying on the sofa, sick as all get out, but LOOK! A possible project, and the longer you lie there staring at it the more pressing the urge becomes to get up and do something about it!
It turned out lovely, btw ;)

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Oh my,, what a enhancement those 5 minutes made.
Vera

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...